Monday 1 July 2013

Back from leave

Hello. My name is Kostas Economides and I am a lecturer in the Department of Economics at the University of the South of England (USE for short). Well, actually that is not true really as the names of individuals and institutions in this blog have been changed to protect the innocent - and the guilty!

Well here I am back at the university after two weeks leave. Jenny and I had a lovely week down in Dorset and then in the second week we went to Kent. I will tell you a bit more about that in a later blog post.

But there are other things to tell you about that I have found out since coming in this morning. First of all, two colleagues are leaving the department. Kevin Cooper, who I don't think I have mentioned in previous blog posts, has decided to retire at Christmas. He is only 62 but he has calculated that what he loses on his pension is probably worth it by getting hold of his lump sum early. That wasn't really a surprise as we all knew that he had been considering it. But I was a bit shocked to hear that Petros Petropoulos is leaving, and going back to Greece. He has got himself a position at the University of Crete which he is happy with. It also means that he will be nearer to his parents and his wife's parents who he has been worried about recently. So let's hope that the Dean will let us replace both of these leavers. I hope that Mike can make a good case to her.

The big story though concerns Gus and Heather and what happened during their holiday in Cephalonia. I have only heard a brief summary so far but it sounds like they had a pretty scary and frightening adventure. When I get the full details I will write about it. Fortunately everything turned out all right in the end, but it could have been very nasty indeed. I won't spoil it by giving away any of the story now, but once I have had a longer chat with Gus I will put it all together for you.

Anyway, there are emails and other things I have to catch up on so I will leave it there for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment