Monday 27 May 2013

Hornets!

Hello. My name is Kostas Economides and I am a lecturer in the Department of Economics at the University of the South of England (USE for short). Well, actually that is not true really as the names of individuals and institutions in this blog have been changed to protect the innocent - and the guilty!

Today Watford meet Crystal Palace at Wembley in the Championship Play-Off final to see which of those teams will be in the Premier League next season. My good friend and mentor, Gus Johns, is a fanatical Watford supporter and will be at Wembley cheering on the Hornets, or the 'Orns as he usually calls them. Everyone in the department will be hoping they can do it for him. Watford have been criticised, especially by Palace manager Ian Holloway, for their use of so many loan players from Udinese and Ganada, the two other clubs owned by the Pozzo family. But, apart from Middlesbrough, they have had more home grown players in their squad this season than any other Championship team. The Watford Academy has produced many excellent players over the years and that was one of the things that attracted the Pozzo family to the club. Anyway, along with Jenny, Richard, Bubbles and Lindsay, and Jack and Phoebe I shall be at the pub tomorrow to watch the game on Sky, cheering on the 'Orns.

Gus took his wife Heather to the Chelsea Flower Show on Friday. I know very little about flowers but I watched the programme about it on BBC2 on Saturday night in the hope that I might see Gus and Heather. Of course the chance of them being on screen was very small and I didn't spot them. Still, it was interesting and maybe Molly is right that I am getting more English by the day. I didn't go back to Greece for Easter like the other two Greeks in the department, I have an English girlfriend, I have become interested in gardening and cricket and going to the pub to watch football. I am even getting to like Fullers' beer - although I still love Mythos!

Enjoy the Bank Holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment