Tuesday 28 May 2013

Not this year

Hello. My name is Kostas Economides and I am a lecturer in the Department of Economics at the University of the South of England (USE for short). Well, actually that is not true really as the names of individuals and institutions in this blog have been changed to protect the innocent - and the guilty!

Oh well, Watford lost to Crystal Palace in the Championship Play Off Final yesterday. So it will be the Championship again for them next season. It has to be said that Ian Holloway got the tactics right yesterday and on balance Palace were the better team on the day. Too many Watford players were below par - Deeney, Cassetti and Chabolah in particular. Doyley was immense though and maybe if he had been marking Zaha from the start things would have been different. Gus texted me after the game to say that he was disappointed, not so much that Watford lost, but that they didn't really get into the game until it was too late. It was a clear penalty - no complaints about that either - and Almunia nearly got to it. He had a good game too, keeping the 'Orns in the match with several crisp saves. Gus says he might work from home today as he is exhausted from all the tension yesterday.

I watched the match in the pub with Jack, Richard and the others. There were a few Palace fans there too so it got a bit noisy at times. I wonder how Palace will get on in the Premier league. Without Zaha I can't see them making a big impression. I think Watford would probably have done better with their style of play but we will never know. Next season will be more difficult for them as expectations are high and other teams have had time to work out how to play them, as Crystal Palace have shown.

It is school half-term this week and hardly anyone is in the university today. I am sat here alone in the cafeteria, although Bubbles will be in at lunchtime so I can have another chat with her about the football. Maybe I will go home after that too, although it is raining so I won't be able to sit on the patio and read. At least I have got all my marking done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment