Thursday 9 May 2013

Meeting in Waitrose

Hello. My name is Kostas Economides and I am a lecturer in the Department of Economics at the University of the South of England (USE for short). Well, actually that is not true really as the names of individuals and institutions in this blog have been changed to protect the innocent - and the guilty!

Last night, on the way home from work, I went shopping in Waitrose. Just as I had placed two very nice pieces of haddock in my trolley at the fish counter I turned around to see Gus and Heather coming towards me.

"That looks like some very nice fish" said Heather. "Enough for two if I am not mistaken! Are you having someone round for supper tonight?" Before I could answer there was another surprise in store for me (pun intended!) for who should we see approaching than Richard, together with Bubbles and a young girl who I took to be her daughter.

Richard looked a little embarrassed but did the introductions. "I think you have seen Bubbles in the cafeteria" he said, looking at Gus and me, "and this is her daughter Lindsay."

"How is the PhD going?" asked Gus. "Oh, it is still quite early days" said Bubbles. "I have established the broad area and general title for my topic but I am still engaged in a thorough literature review before I get properly started on my own work." "Well, good luck with it anyway" said Gus "It must be quite difficult juggling the PhD work, the classes that I hear you are doing in the psychology department, the cafeteria work and looking after young Lindsay here".

"Yes" said Bubbles. "And now I have got Richard to fit in as well!" Richard blushed. "Well, I think we had better be going" he said. "Nice to see you all. Have a good evening."

"Well" said Gus. "It looks like progress is being made on several fronts" (as he looked down again at the fish in my trolley).

Perhaps I had better go to Sainsbury's next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment